The Proviso United with Loyola Students for Educational Enrichment (PULSE) program started in 2006-07 as a collaboration between the Stritch Office of Student Affairs and the Proviso Township School District. Designed to provide high school students with educational enrichment in science and medicine, mentoring/career advice and college preparation assistance, PULSE is an excellent academic, professional and social development opportunity for Proviso high school students interested in a career in medicine.
The high schoolers get hands-on experience in different branches of medicine, such as cardiology, family medicine and anatomy. The sessions take place once a month for eight weeks and participants are connected to a medical student mentor from Stritch. Since the inception, 234 Proviso Math and Science Academy students have completed the program.
- Assist students with learning math and science concepts through educational enrichment
- Offer students practical, hands-on experiences that cultivate student interest in the medical profession
- Expand student exposure to career-related information and resources via mentoring, job shadowing, field trips, and other learning expeditions
- Provide activities that will assist students with college-readiness
- Nurture a spirit of community service through volunteer projects benefiting the Proviso communities
View Sample PULSE Session Schedule