Welcome from Assistant Dean of Diversity
The Stritch School of Medicine believes that a diverse community of students, faculty, trainees and staff enhances the educational experience, promotes innovative research, increases quality of patient care and provides the richest set of viewpoints for solving complex problems in health care. As such, creating an environment that fosters equity, inclusion and excellence remains at the forefront of our priorities.
As the Assistant Dean for Diversity,I have the privilege of collaborating with offices and units across the School of Medicine to implement initiatives that are designed to embed diversity in the work and learning environment. Specifically the Office of Diversity and Inclusion works to:
- Increase recruitment and retention of underrepresented faculty, students and residents
- Establish and sustain professional networking forums and leadership development opportunities for faculty and residents
- Advocate for and support the interests of student affinity groups, not limited to but including students of color, LGBT students,veterans and students with disabilities
- Promote integration of cultural competency and health disparities in the education and professional development of students and faculty
- Collect, analyze, report diversity progress and provide recommendations on initiatives to the Dean and Chief Diversity Officer
Through our initiatives and programs we aim to create a climate where all are empowered to thrive and make a unique contribution to academic medicine. While our commitment to diversity is evident,we recognize that our work is continuous. I invite you to partner with us as we strive towards our goal of diversity and excellence.
Freager Williams, MD
Interim Assistant Dean for Diversity