Role of Advisor by Year:
- PCM 1 facilitator – get to know the students personally and in a group setting.
- Academic advising –
- review grades, create framework for student to approach you for academic support
- ask students to self-identify needs and interests,
- encourage summer planning (research or career-related pursuits),
- identify struggling students, refer to ACE or Student Affairs
- begin planning Step 1 preparation
- Professional Development & Role modeling
- Discuss the social contract we engage in as physicians,
- offer inspiration about the field of medicine as a career,
- Speak about your own clinical experience
- Career guidance
- start the discussion about the choice of specialty
- The Advising Program will build into the academic calendar at least one advising opportunity per semester for one-to-one contact between students and their academic advisors.
- Review grades
- Ask student to self-identify needs and interests
- Step 1 preparation encouragement, support, referral
- Help with selection of clinical clerkships tracks
- Further discuss choice of specialty and how to improve chances of matching in choice.
- Students are encouraged to contact their advisors individually for additional advising needs.
- Advisors are encouraged to reach out to struggling students identified in first year to see how second year is going.
- PCM 3 facilitator – lead a reflection group for clinical experiences, reconnecting with students from M1 year.
- Academic advising-
- Review grades
- Ask students to self-identify needs and interests during clinical years
- Application for residency preparation – letters of rec, personal statement
- Specialty selection, refer to specialty advisor to aid with selecting residencies to apply to, Concurrent plan (if indicated)
- Help with selection of electives, planning for interview season
- No structured contact – students contact advisors as needed.
- Academic advisor or Specialty advisor can help with preparation for interviews, modifying approach if not having optimal success
- Preparing for Match day and the SOAP process.
- Transitioning from medical school to residency.