CBMI members (highlighted) have engaged in the following projects funded by the NIH, NSF, and American Diabetes Association
- NIH T54, Summer Research Experience for Medical Students in Inflammation and Infectious Disease (07/20/2017-06/30/2022). PI: Edward Campbell, Co-PI: Elizabeth Muller. Co-Investigators (training faculty): Francis Alonzo, Susan Baker, Larissa Bresler, Cynthia Brincat, Mashkoor Choudhry, Mark Cichon, Nina Clark, Andrew Dingwall, Qunfeng Dong, Adam Driks, Jawed Fareed, Colleen Fitzgerald, Makio Iwashima, Katherine Knight, Jennifer Layden, Phong Le, Caroline Le Poole, Herbert Mathews, Katherine Radek, Susan Uprichard, Karen Visick, and Alan Wolfe.
- NIH R01 (1R01DK111848-01), Gut Microbiota and Short Chain Fatty Acids, and Adiposity (April 2017 - March 2022). Investigators: Lara Dugas (PI, Loyola), Amy Luke (co-I, Loyola), Stephanie Kliethermes (co-I, Loyola), Brian Layden (co-I, Northwestern University), David Nelson (co-I, Indiana University), and Qunfeng Dong (co-I, Loyola). Note: Our Center played key roles in the experimental design, proposal writings, and preliminary data analysis, contributing significantly to the successful funding of this project. However, we are no longer part of this project.
- Novo Nordisk, The Urinary Microbiome and Vitamin D in Women with Type 2 Diabetes (2016-2018). PI Sue Penckofer. Co-Investigator: Alan Wolfe, Qunfeng Dong, Xiang Gao
- Loyola University Chicago Cardiovascular Research Institute grant (AU103331), 2016-2017, Developing novel bioinformatics software for gene expression network analysis, PI, Dr. Qunfeng Dong
- Loyola Research Funding Committee (RFC), Kidney Stone Urinary Microbiota in the Context of Metabolic Syndrome. (Jan 1st, 2017 – Dec 31, 2017). PI, Dr. Kristin Baldea, Co-Investigators: Drs. Ahmer Farooq, Larisa Bresler, Thomas Turk, Alan Wolfe, Xiang Gao, and Qunfeng Dong
- United States – Israel Binational Science Foundation #2012063, Relationships between rodents and bacterial diversities, (2013 – 2017). Investigators: Drs. Hawlena Hadas, Ben Gurion University, Beer Sheva, Israel; Clay Keith, Fuqua Clay, Indiana University, Qunfeng Dong, Loyola.
- Maternal obesity and immune developmental programming, role of the microbiome (NIH R21 HD088948-01, 08/01/2016 - 07/31/2018). Multi–PIs: Drs. Ellen Kraig and Cun Li (UTHSCSA) and Dr. Qunfeng Dong (Loyola). Co-investigator: Dr. Xiang Gao (Loyola).
- The female urinary microbiome and urinary incontinence (NIH R01, 2015-2020), PI - Drs. Linda Brubaker & Alan Wolfe, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine. Co-investigators: Drs. Cynthia Brincat, Qunfeng Dong, Colleen Fitzgerald, Stephanie Kliethermes, Elizabeth Mueller, Paul Schreckenberger, Michael Zilliox.
- The role of urethral microbiome in idiopathic urethritis in men (NIH R01, 2015-2020). PI: Drs. David Nelson and Byron Batteiger, Indiana University School of Medicine. Co-investigators: Drs. Janet Arno (Indiana Univ.), Barry Katz (Indiana Univ.), Qunfeng Dong (Loyola).
- The Female Urinary Microbiome: Adjacent Microbiomes and Clinical Associations (NIH P20, 2015-2017). PI: Dr. Alan Wolfe, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine. Co-investigators: Drs. Linda Brubaker, Qunfeng Dong, Stephanie Kliethermes, Elizabeth Mueller, Michael Zilliox.
- Variability of Male Urinary Microbiota in the Context of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Response to Surgical Treatment (LUMC Intramual Grant 2015-2017). PI: Dr. Ahmer V. Farooq, Loyola University Chicago. Co-PI: Drs. Jeffery Branch, Larissa Bresler, Qunfeng Dong, Alan J. Wolfe.
- Genomic Prediction of Chronic Pulmonary Inflammation in HIV Infection (NIH U01, 2013-2018). PI: Drs. Homer Twigg III (Indiana University School of Medicine) and George Weinstock (The Jackson Laboratory). Co-investigators: Drs. Kenneth Knox (University of Arizona), David Nelson (Indiana Univ.), Barry Katz (Indiana Univ.), Qunfeng Dong (Loyola).
- Natural variation and drought responses in developing maize inflorescences (NSF 2013-2018). PI: Dr. Erik Vollbrecht, Iowa State University. Co-investigators: Drs. Sarah Hake (UC Berkeley, USDA), Dave Jackson (Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory), José R. Dinneny (Carnegie Institution for Science, Stanford University), Torbert Rocheford (Purdue University), Andrea Eveland (Donald Danforth Plant Science Center), Qunfeng Dong (Loyola).
- Mechanism of microbiome-induced insulin resistance in humans (American Diabetes Association, 2013-2016). PI: Dr. Nicolas Musi, University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. Co-investigator: Qunfeng Dong (Loyola).
- Diversity and dynamic stability of the ocular surface microbiome (NIH R01 2012-2017). PI: Drs. Valery Shestopalov (University of Miami School of Medicine) and Russell Van Gelder (University of Washington). Co-investigators: Drs. David Nelson (Indiana Univ.), Qunfeng Dong (Loyola).
- Lung microbiome and pulmonary inflammation/immunity in HIV infection (NIH U01, 2009-2015). PI: Dr. Homer Twigg III (Indiana University School of Medicine) and Dr. George Weinstock (The Jackson Laboratory). Co-investigators: Drs. Kristina Crothers (Yale University), Kenneth Knox (University of Arizona), Richard Gregory (Indiana Univ.), David Nelson (Indiana Univ.), Barry Katz (Indiana Univ.), Yuzhen Ye (Indiana Univ.), Qunfeng Dong (Loyola).
- The urethral microbiome in adolescent males (NIH UH2/UH3 2009-2013). PI: Dr. J. Dennis Fortenberry (Indiana Univ.). Co-investigators: Drs. David Nelson, George Weinstock, Erica Sodergren, Barbara Van Der Pol, Sarah Wiehe, Mary Ott, Barry Katz, Qunfeng Dong.
- Investigation of Cloud Computing to Support Data-Parallel Health Research (NIH 2009-2011). PI: Dr. Jeoffrey Fox (Indiana University). Co-investigators: Drs. Yves Brun, Peter Cherbas, Qunfeng Dong, J. Dennis Fortenberry, Roger Innes, David Nelson, Marlon Pierce, Craig Stewart, Homer Twigg.