2018-2019 Minigrant Awardees
CVRI Student Travel Awards (up to $1,000)
These awards support Ph.D. students & M.D. students/fellows to travel to scientific conferences, especially when they are a presenting author.
- Duwa Alebdy
- Raiza Bonomo
- Jack Bontekoe
- Lucas Burke, M.D.
- Candice Choo-Kang
- Demetrios Doukas, D.O.
- Chaitanya Gavini, Ph.D.
- Chun Kim
- Nathan McClane
- Roman Nikolaienko, Ph.D.
- Maria Papadaki, Ph.D.
- Melissa Quintanilla
- Fakiha Siddiqui
James DePauw grants for pilot projects ($10,000)
The DePauw grants support small pilot research projects, especially those involving collaborations between CVRI faculty that help advance our mission of deeper collaboration between clinicians and basic scientists.
- Yevgeniy Brailovsky, DO, Cardiology, Debra Hoppensteadt, PhD, Pathology, and Amir Darki, MD, Cardiology
- Demetrio Doukas, DO and Alain Heroux, MD, Cardiology
- Walter Jeske, PhD, Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Jonathan Muraskas, MD, Pediatric Neonatology, Phillip DeChristopher, MD, PhD, Pathology, and Samuel Levin, MD, Neonatology
- Ivana Kuo, PhD, Cell and Molecular Physiology and Susan Uprichard, PhD, Hepatology
- Jeanine Walenga, PhD, Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Joshua Newman, MD, Eugenia Raichlin, MD, Zeeshan Hussain, MD, Eugene Brailovsky, MD, Max Liebo, MD, Cardiology, Esther Cheng, MD, Otolaryngology and Jawed Fareed, PhD, Pathology
James and Carolyn Beck equipment grant (up to $15,000)
This endowment provides funding for CVRI equipment that will benefit multiple faculty members and collaborative projects.
- Ivana Kuo, PhD, and Quan Cao, MD, PhD, Cell and Molecular Physiology
- Karie Scrogin, PhD, Pharmacology
Patrick Scanlon Collaborative Grants Award (up to $25,000)
This mechanism is for larger collaborations, particularly those between clinical faculty and basic scientists, which are larger in scope than pilot projects and can likely result in a published manuscript.
- Virginie Aubert, PhD, Cell and Molecular Physiology, Lara Dugas, PhD, MPH, Public Health Sciences and Anand V. Germanwala, MD, Neurological Surgery: “Role of microbiota metabolites in obesity-‐induced neuropathy.”
- Haseeb Ilias Basha, MD, Cardiology, Katherine Knight, PhD, Microbiology, Maria Picken MD, PhD, Pathology and Periannan Sethupathi, MD, Microbiology: "Role of Bacillus subtilis derived Exopolysaccharide (EPS) in preventing acute rejection following Heart Transplantation"
- Omer Iqbal, MD, Pathology, Walter Jeske, PhD, Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Trent Reed, MD, Emergency Medicine, Yevgeniy Brailovsky, DO, Verghese Mathew, MD, Amir Darki, MD, Cardiology and Jawed Fareed, PhD, Pathology: “Endothelial dysfunction may be linked to peroxynitrite in acute pulmonary embolism.”
- Erika Piedras-Rentería, PhD, Cell and Molecular Physiology and Vikram Prabhu, MD, Neurological Surgery: “Assessment of glioma, glioblastoma and meningioma proliferation and its interruption by targeting selective key proteins involved in proliferation.”