Mission & Goals
The positive effects of diversity do not automatically accrue from a simple focus on numerical representations of various populations within our learning environment. Rather, the benefits of diversity are produced through carefully structured policies and programs that are designed to embed equity and inclusion throughout all aspects of our learning environment. As such, the mission of the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (ODEI) is to promote inclusiveness and enrich the work and learning environment for all students, faculty, trainees, and staff by implementing a comprehensive strategic plan that centers around three goals:
- Attract – Recruit a community of talented students, faculty, and staff that is inclusive of unique perspectives and backgrounds and reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
- Educate – Provide thought leadership and education on critical diversity issues to increase awareness of health inequities and unconscious bias, and integrate cultural competence into the academic curriculum and professional training of students, faculty, residents, and staff.
- Develop – Inspire diverse individuals of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in medicine by supporting opportunities for advancement and creating a nurturing an environment where all are given the tools to thrive.
To that end, ODEI objectives and initiatives focus on recruitment and retention; education, training, and development; and institutional accountability and excellence:
- Increase recruitment and retention of students, residents, faculty, and staff underrepresented in medicine (UIM)
- Establish and sustain professional networking forums and leadership development opportunities for faculty and residents
- Advocate for and support the interests of student affinity groups, not limited to but including students of color, LGBT students, veterans, first-generation and/or low-income students, and students with differing abilities
- Promote the integration of cultural competency and health (in)equity education in SSOM academic and professional development experiences
- Collect, analyze, report, and monitor the status of institutional diversity, equity, and inclusion (climate), and support the SSOM Dean/Chief Diversity Officer in advancing a community of excellence through continuous quality improvement (CQI).
By embedding diversity and inclusion as core values of our institution we aim to strengthen the Stritch mission of leadership, service, and learning.