Sequence the entire genome of a bacteria, virus, or other microbe, and compare the sequence to that of a known reference.
- Allows investigation of all genes in all organisms present in a given complex sample
- Sequences thousands of organisms in parallel
- Sequences and discovers unculturable organisms
- Detects very low abundance members of the microbial community that might be missed or are too expensive to identify using other methods
- Provides comprehensive analysis of the microbial/viral genome
- Aids discovery of new biomarkers (SNP variants) within a microbial/viral sample by providing distinct gene information from homologous chromosomes, supporting haplotyping, and allele-specific solutions.