Loyola’s one-of-a-kind Medical Polish program welcomes you to partake in learning one of the world’s most beautiful and classiest Slavic tongues. Medical Polish is a peer-led weekly language class for those learners who wish to communicate with patients in the Polish language. This program will gear students towards communication in the healthcare setting, in addition to lessons in Polish culture and tradition. We seek to enrich the culture of Stritch by providing the opportunity to learn about one of the most historic and prominent communities of Chicago.
Come join us! Dołącz do nas!
Why is Med. Polish a thing?
- The Polish population in Illinois is large
- There is a shortage of Polish-speaking healthcare workers
- Helps build rapport so patients feel more comfortable
- We can minimize miscommunication and encourage patient compliance
- Generally becoming a more culturally-competent physician
- Students will learn the fundamentals of the Polish language, medical vocabulary, and how to communicate with patients in a clinical setting
- Weekly Tuesday classes starting from 09/05/2017 and ending on 05/01/2018
- Students can choose to join either the 7:30 am morning or 4:30 pm afternoon class
- Lessons are peer-led. Medical Polish is made by students for students!
- End of the year student feedbacks → we are continually improving!
- Attend at least 20 classes, each class is only 1 hour!
- Shadow a Polish-speaking physician
- Attend a Polish-oriented cultural event
- Complete a short, one-page reflection
- 1 week elective credit for students
- 2 weeks elective credit for teachers
- Most importantly, ability to speak to Poles in their own language about health concerns in a nice and friendly way (they’ll appreciate you so much for it!)
- President: Karolina Krawczyk (email@example.com)
- Vice President: Konrad Kubicki (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Events Coordinator: Julia Witowska (email@example.com)
- Curriculum Coordinator: Piotr Barnas (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Curriculum Coordinator: Todd Zimmerman (email@example.com)
- Josephine Dlugopolski-Gach (firstname.lastname@example.org)