Medical Spanish is a peer-led and peer-taught program that seeks to prepare students to take a medical history in Spanish and to develop culturally competent health care providers. First-year medical students are invited to either teach or be students in one of five differentiated instructional levels - from novice to proficient. Students develop their skills using natural language-based learning techniques and participate in several opportunities for cultural development and clinical experiences. In 2019-2020, over 92% of the M1 class participated in Medical Spanish, joined by countless nursing and graduate students. Join us and help us make a difference for our Latinx community!
PROGRAM ASPECTS INCLUDE:
- The ultimate course goal is to take a Spanish medical history on a real standardized patient.
- Learn Spanish medical terminology using natural language-based learning techniques.
- Innovative curriculum developed by teachers-turned Stritch medical students!
- Participate in cultural events, activism, and opportunities to practice your Spanish in real medical settings.
- Opportunities for bilingual interpreter certifications.
- Earn elective credit for M4 year.
- Dr. Yessenia Castro-Caballero, MD
Eleanor Marcet (email@example.com) - Director
Alejandra Laverde (firstname.lastname@example.org) & Aidimer Perez (email@example.com) - Curriculum Coordinators
Quinn Johnshoy (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Data and Improvement Coordinator/Recruitment and Continued Education Coordinator
Rachel Bartnett (email@example.com) - Practical Experience Coordinator