The Stritch School of Medicine offers an elective in Medical Spanish Teaching in Medical School. This elective is an introduction to the concepts, methodologies and foundation for medical education, its role in the physicians practice, and its application to lifelong learning. Specifically, the elective strengthens Medical Spanish speaking ability and Spanish language teaching skills. Whether assuming a position as a medical educator or taking responsibility for one’s own Continuing Medical Education, this elective will provide a sound foundation for academic excellence, research or scholarship, particularly within the growing role of Spanish within Medicine.
- This elective will occur longitudinally over the course of two years, with students working towards requirements for two weeks elective credit.
- Quarterly meetings will be held to discuss medical education theory, methodology and practice. You will be expected to attend three of the four sessions offered in the summer, fall, winter, and spring. While we hope you attend all four sessions, three will be required, for a total of 6 hours of medical education theory.
- The opportunity to implement that knowledge will be in the form of teaching one hour Medical Spanish classes of a specified level to a small group (maximum of 20) Medical Student peers on a regular basis.
- The expectations are that formal teaching encounters will occur within a minimum of 20 sessions (schedule to be set by the teacher) over the first two years of medical school. Completion – online in your Student Portfolio – of one Preparation for Your Medical Spanish Lesson form for each class taught (total of twenty) will be required.
- Attendance at each of four outside lectures of a teacher of your choice is mandatory. Focus will be on assessing technique vs. content. Completion – online in your Student Portfolio – of one Critique of Teacher form for each lecturer observed (total of four) is required (one each term during peer teaching). The observation and critique of two fellow Medical Spanish teachers will be required as part of a role model exercise. You will observe your peers teach one of their Spanish classes, and give them feedback on the session. Completion – online in your Student Portfolio – of one Critique of Teacher form for each teacher observed (total of two) is required. Additionally, completion of one Feedback for Teacher form for each teacher observed (total of two) is required.
- Teachers will be required to collect Teacher Feedback forms from all students actively attending their classes. Additionally, they will meet with 2 of these students to further understand their evaluation of the teaching skills. Completion – online in your Student Portfolio – of one Student-to-Teacher Feedback form for each student/teacher feedback discussion (total of two) is required. Teacher will then complete a Lesson Plan Reflection form for a lesson plan of choice.