Center for Community & Global Health
|Dept. Contact||Lucia Garcia|
|Department:||Center for Community & Global Health|
|Course Title:||International Health: Bolivia|
|No. of Students:|
|Supervisor:||Amy Blair, MD|
|Prerequisite:||Fourth year standing.|
|Special Note:||Graded pass/fail only.|
Students should be able to identify the following:
Interpersonal and Communication Skills:
Students must demonstrate effective communication skills with their patients, patients' families, and other healthcare providers. Inherent in this expectation is that students will be proficient in the native language.
1) Conduct a focus history and physical and offer a reasonable diagnosis and management plan.
1) Recognize the relationships between poverty, lifestyle, health care resources, and illness that is both common to underserved sites and unique to his/her locale.
1) Students must consistently demonstrate an awareness of, and respect for, cultural differences unique to their experience.
|Method of evaluation:||1) The supervising physician will give direct clinical assessment of the student's performance.
2) Students will be expected to attend the majority of didactic sessions on International Health prior to departure.
3) Students will be expected to perform a needs assessment while on site and submit a grant proposal for quality improvement upon return with the help of a supervising physician.