Visiting Student Criteria
(US Allopathic and Osteopathic Students)
- You must be in good academic standing at your medical school and in your final year of medical school at the time of the visiting elective rotation.
- You must have successfully completed training in OSHA safety measures and infection control precautions by your medical school.
- You must have completed a Mask Fit Test.
- You must be taking electives for credit.
- You must be paying tuition at your medical school during the period of your rotation.
- You must be covered by medical liability and/or malpractice insurance during the elective time, at a rate no less than $1 million per incident and $3 million aggregate.
- You must hold personal health insurance.
- You must have successfully completed all core third year clerkships by the time of your elective, as well as any other prerequisite stated in the elective course description.
- You must satisfy our student health/immunization requirements, as indicated on the Visiting Student Immunization Form, PRIOR to the start date of the elective
- You must have completed HIPAA training at your medical school.
- You must have passed Step 1.
- Ultimate authority over your registration for an elective rests with the Office of Registration and Records. Acceptance by a department elective coordinator or supervisor does not constitute approval for a visiting student elective. All elective offers and acceptances need to be made through the VSAS system.
Visiting students should be aware that Loyola-Stritch students have priority in registering for electives and should check for the earliest allowed visiting student registration date on the VISITING STUDENT TIMETABLE FOR ELECTIVE REGISTRATION. Visiting student registration will not be processed for a minimum of four weeks after the opening sign-up date for Loyola-Stritch students (approximately 12-14 weeks in advance of the beginning date for the elective).
A visiting student may register for no more than 12 weeks of electives offered through Loyola-Stritch.
Once accepted for an elective, the visiting student is expected to honor that commitment. If you decide against completing an elective at Stritch, you must drop your elective on VSAS as soon as is feasible for you and in no circumstances any later than four weeks in advance of the elective start date.
Housing is NOT available for visiting students; parking is available for a modest fee.