Perspectives for Students
COUNSELING for Health Sciences Campus Students
Today’s society is increasingly complex and we know that you may face a variety of personal situations as your education continues. The Health Sciences Division (HSD) of Loyola University Chicago is committed to assisting you through the challenges of your academic career. Most of the time, you will be able to effectively resolve personal issues on your own. However, at other times your mood, stress level, emotional health, family relations and career direction may require additional assistance.
The HSD Student Counseling Program is called Perspectives for Students. It is an independent behavioral health organization established in 1981 that provides work/life, wellness and counseling services to many organizations locally and nationally.
The program is free, confidential, and completely separate from any Loyola or LUMC entities. The program provides:
- Unlimited 24/7 toll-free access (1-800-456-6327) to Call Center via chat, text, or phone, which is staffed by masters-level counselors to access information, resources, and crisis support.
- An onsite counseling office in Cuneo Center/Stritch, room 180 staffed by licensed masters-level clinicians for assessment, counseling of up to five sessions per issue, with referral to additional resources (including the school sponsored psychiatrist) where necessary, and follow-up.
- The onsite office is staffed by Myat Nyunt and Betty Hailu several days a week. Please call ahead for an appointment. You can view Myat's and Betty's hours and bios here: Perspectives Bios and Hours.
Students have access to Perspectives Online, an interactive website providing access to articles, self-guided wellness assessments, calculators, child/elder/pet care provider databases, skill building courses, expert audio clips and information in the following areas: Emotional Well Being, Work/Life, Legal/Financial, Wellness and the Workplace.
Perspectives for Students is a resource to help with “issues of everyday living.” Just about any concern imaginable can be addressed, ranging from simple to complex. Some of the issues covered:
- Relationship Difficulties
- Family and Parenting Problems
- Alcohol, Drug, or Other Addictions
- Grief and Loss
- Child/Elder care
- Change and Transition
Accessing assistance is easy. Simply call at any time at 1-800-456-6327 to speak with a counselor or schedule an appointment. For online resources, simply go to https://www.perspectivesltd.com and enter LUC500 for your User ID and “perspectives” (without quotes) for the password.
Please be advised, any student seeking counseling services should start with Perspectives. If the student needs to be seen by a psychiatrist, the Perspectives therapists will make the referral.
Please contact Student Affairs at ext. 68140 if you have any questions.