Program Specific Requirements
MPHs student must complete online training in ethical research via the CITI program (Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative).
Practicums must be 210 hours or more but these hours can be performed over one or more semesters. Practicums can NOT be performed within the LUC Department of Public Health Sciences or involve the specific activities and responsibilities of your current employment. Consult your MPH adviser for more information.
- Examples of sites used in the past for practicum experiences include MRSA Research Center, North Shore Mosquito Abatement District, the LUC Institute of Environmental Sustainability, Fallbrook Food Pantry, and Mount Sinai Hospital.
Capstone research does not have to be related to practicum experiences. Depending on their interests, some students will analyze data collected during their practicum to help complete their capstone.
Examples of past capstone titles (videos for some presentations available upon request):
- Megan Aronson, On-site Food Pantry at the Eastern Colorado Health Care System Veteran's Affairs Hospital.
- Allison Kong, The Association between Acculturation and Hypertension Prevalence among South Asian Immigrants.?
- Keeley Lewis, Risk for West Nile virus transmission in mosquitoes and humans in Northern Cook County: a spatio-temporal approach.
- Nicole Nelson, The association of visceral adipose tissue and physical activity.
- Gillian Conrad, Crisis and Emergency Risk Communication with Vulnerable Populations: Challenges and Considerations for Local Public Health.
- Tarah Osowski, Increasing Fallbook Food Pantry Client Attrition Rates: A Novel Approach to Promoting Food Security and Self-Sufficiency.
- Kaushal Mehta, Depression prevalence in the U.S. population pre/post-recession.
- Cherylanne Kolmin, Limited proficiency and hospital readmission in patients with heart failure.