Spanish Language and Culture Education: Weekly Language Classes
Classes are divided based on Spanish language abilities:
- Beginner: Essential phrases, basic terminology & relevant questions
- Intermediate: Taking a full patient history
- Advanced: Take a full patient history and conversation skills
Curriculum is student designed, initiated and driven:
- Curriculum is developed by peer teachers based on continuous student feedback
- Content parallels M1/M2 curriculum depending on language level
- Students attend four cultural competency events throughout the course of the elective
- Peer-led model: M1/M2 students with advanced speaking ability may apply to become teachers for fellow classmates.
Teachers attend a comprehensive teaching training day, have access to an online curriculum folder with Powerpoints and additional materials, and receive continuous support from mentors.
Additional components of each class include:
- Mock Standardized Patient exam in Spanish with real SP’s
- Opportunity for Interpreter shadowing at LUHS